You're a Wimp!
Here's the bad news: You can't handle it.
- You can't handle your circumstances.
- You can't handle your sin.
- You can't handle the challenges you face today or the challenges that lurk right around the corner.
At least not on your own.
Deep down, you've probably known this all along. You try and try to get your life all in order, like standing Dominos up on their end in a long line. But just when things start to go really good, something tips the first Domino and your false sense that you are in control topples.
Likewise, many of you have told us that you've tried to control your sin on your own but simply cannot. Despite your best efforts, you don't have the strength to stop sinning. And none of us have the strength to change the big stuff. We can't stop wars from raging, terror cells from forming, or disease from taking the lives of innocent children around the globe. If we look at the big picture, we're all pretty wimpy.
Jesus put it this way in John 15:5: "I am the vine; you are the branches. If a man remains in me and I in him, he will bear much fruit; apart from me you can do nothing."
Apart from Him we can do... nothing. He is the vine. We are just branches. When we try to live our life disconnected from Him, our wimpy ways are exposed and our ability to handle what life throws at us withers pretty quickly.
This is a truth I have to remind myself of often. I am guilty of trying to cram my way onto the throne of my own life daily. And when I get what I want-to be in charge, to call the shots-I am once again reminded that all of my strength comes from Him. Apart from Him, I am easily overwhelmed.
When I become bone weary from trying to run my own life, I find great comfort in the truth found in God's Word:
- "The LORD is my strength and my song; he has become my salvation. He is my God, and I will praise him, my father's God, and I will exalt him" (Ex. 15:2).
- "If it is a matter of strength, he is mighty!" (Job 9:19).
- "It is God who arms me with strength and makes my way perfect" (Ps. 18:32).
- "The LORD is my strength and my shield; my heart trusts in him, and I am helped" (Ps. 28:7).
We may be wimpy, but God is not. He is strong enough to handle our circumstances. Mighty enough to stop our sin. Big enough to shoulder our worry, fear, doubt, and drama.
What is it about your life right now that exposes your weakness? Are you trying to handle it all on your own or depending on the vine to give you strength?
Jesus loves me this I know.
For the Bible tells me so
Little ones to Him belong.
They are weak, but He is strong!