Working as a Team
Mark Miller is a vice president of a large quick service food company based in Atlanta GA. Based on Mark’s organizational background, he has become an expert in understanding the principles and practices teamwork and team dynamics. This week I have been in a class taught by Mark on the topic of teams. Here are some of his insights regarding the importance of teamwork.
Why should we work strive to work as a team? It’s all about productivity. Teams outperform individuals 95% of time because it is God’s design. It is amazing that throughout scripture we find many powerful examples of teamwork. Perhaps the most powerful example of teamwork in the Bible is found in the lives of the disciples. Is it not amazing that the small band of disciples were able to begin a movement that literally changed the world?
What are the defining characteristics of building a high performance team?
- The team has a common purpose and shared goals.
- Team members are growing. This means that each member on the team is an active learner.
- Teams identify and solve problems.
- The members of the team hold each other accountable for results.
- The members of the team demonstrate genuine care and concern for each other.
- Teams achieve phenomenal results.
Take a moment to evaluate the teams or groups of people with whom you serve. Can you define your team as a “high performing team”? Are you getting exceptional results? Do you see the 6 defining characteristics at work your team?
Written by Jay Vineyard