Who's That Looking Back at You?
Bible Reading: Ephesians 1:3-8
How we praise God, the Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, who has blessed us with every spiritual blessing in the heavenly realms because we belong to Christ—Ephesians 1:3.
You look in the mirror. How do you react to what you see? Check the statement which best describes your response.
____ Please be patient. God isn’t finished with me yet.
____ The mirror is twitching, but it hasn’t cracked.
____ I kiss myself!
____ Pass me a full-body paper sack.
____ What potential!
You can have all sorts of thoughts-good, bad, and ugly-about yourself. But how does God feel about what he sees in you? To see yourself as God sees you-as you really are-start by understanding your “position” in Christ. If you want a healthy self-image, you want to get God’s view of you. And Ephesians 1 tells you these truths:
- You have been given “every spiritual blessing” in heavenly places (verse 3).
- You were chosen before the world was made “to be holy and without fault” in God’s eyes (verse 4).
- You were picked for adoption as God’s child (verse 5).
- Your freedom and forgiveness were purchased through Christ’s blood, which was poured out for you on the cross (verse 7).
- You were identified as belonging to God through the Holy Spirit (verse 13).
Because of your position in Christ, those great things are true of you. Those are truths Paul wants you to count on. “I pray that your hearts will be flooded with light,” he writes, “so that you can understand the wonderful future he has promised to those he called. I want you to realize what a rich and glorious inheritance he has given to his people. I pray that you will begin to understand the incredible greatness of his power for us who believe him” (verses 18-19).
God wants you to see yourself as he sees you. He wants to open wide the eyes of your heart so you see all the great things he sees in you.
REFLECT: What new fact did you just learn about yourself?
PRAY: Thank God for the truth of that fact-and his goodness to you.