Which Way Is the Right Way?
'Thomas said to him, “Lord, we don’t know where you are going, so how can we know the way?” Jesus answered, “I am the way and the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me.”’ John 14: 5-6
In John 14: 1-3, Jesus was alluding to His upcoming death on the cross. That’s when Thomas spoke up: What are you talking about? We don’t even know where you’re going. How can we follow you (my paraphrase)? So Jesus responded with one of His most famous and controversial statements He ever made: “I am the way, and the truth, and the life; no one comes to the Father except through Me.” What exactly was Jesus saying in this powerful statement?
- I AM. - Jesus declares His divinity in this statement. He reveals that He always is, always was and always will be.
- I am the WAY. - Jesus is the way to God. He is the way to heaven; if we take another way, we’re going to get lost – eternally separated from God in Hell.
- I am the TRUTH. - Jesus is the truth. Truth is not some philosophy or idea, but found in the person of Jesus Christ.
- I am the LIFE. - Jesus is the source of eternal life.
- “No one comes to the Father except through Me.” – Jesus is the only way to heaven.
The controversy is in the exclusivity of Jesus’ statement. Yes, Jesus is the only way to heaven, but that way is available to everyone. It’s an open invitation no matter your background: from Muslims to Methodists, Agnostics to Baptists, Catholics, Lutherans, Hindus, and Buddhists. In short, EVERYONE. Too often we forget the incredible inclusiveness of what Jesus is actually offering.
So the question is—do you believe Jesus? Because the Word of God is very clear: it’s Jesus’ way or our way. Jesus is the right way; all others lead the wrong way. Jesus is the highway to Heaven; all other ways, are highways to Hell. Which way will you choose?
Please register for a free account to view this content
We hope you have enjoyed the 10 discipleship resources you have read in the last 30 days.
You have exceeded your 10 piece content limit.
Create a free account today to keep fueling your spiritual journey!
Already a member? Login to iDisciple