What Do Parents and Children Need?
Parents need to be treated with honor and respect.
Exodus 20:12–“Honor your father and your mother.”
Leviticus 19:3 –“Each of you must respect your mother and father.”
Matthew 15:4 –“Honor your father and your mother.”
Hebrews 12:9 –“We had earthly fathers to discipline us, and we respected them.”
Children need to be treated with love and compassion.
Titus 2:3,4 — “Older women likewise…encourage the young women…to love their children.”
Psalm 103:13 –“Just as a father has compassion on his children, so the LORD has compassion on those who fear Him.”
Proverbs 3:12 –“For whom the LORD loves He reproves, even as a father corrects the son in whom he delights.”
Luke 15:20 –“So he got up and came to his father. But while he was still a long way off, his father saw him and felt compassion for him, and ran and embraced him and kissed him.”
Isaiah 49:15 –“Can a woman forget her nursing child and have no compassion on the son of her womb? Even these may forget, but I will not forget you.”
Why is love and respect important? The Bible says,
“Elijah will teach parents how to love their children. He will also teach children how to honor their parents. If that does not happen, I will come. And I will put a curse on the land” (Malachi 4:6).
So, what is the game plan?
- Stop the Family Crazy Cycle: without love a child reacts without respect, and without respect a parent reacts without love.
- Start the Family Energizing Cycle: a parent’s love motivates a child’s respect, and a child’s respect motivates a parent’s love.
- Live on the Family Rewarded Cycle: a parent’s love unto Jesus Christ regardless of a child’s respect, and a child’s respect unto Jesus Christ regardless of a parent’s love.
Let me ask you two questions:
- When you think of meeting your child’s need for love, what comes to mind?
- When you feel disrespected as a parent, how do you respond and not react?
Please register for a free account to view this content
We hope you have enjoyed the 10 discipleship resources you have read in the last 30 days.
You have exceeded your 10 piece content limit.
Create a free account today to keep fueling your spiritual journey!
Already a member? Login to iDisciple