Top 10 Ways to Teach Your Teenagers to Put God First
- Let them see you serving God with a joyful and uncomplaining attitude.
- Encourage them to serve God in substantive and regular ways that cause them to lean on Him for strength and courage.
- Avoid solving all of their problems for them. Force them to turn to God to sort out relational conflicts and cultural dilemmas.
- Avoid placing unrealistic expectations on the youth leaders in your church. Regardless of the strengths and weaknesses of the program, make sure your kids are a positive presence in the youth group.
- Permit your teenagers to wrestle with the more perplexing problems of life. Remain calm while their faith is on trial.
- Let them find you reading your Bible on a daily basis and acting on what you are learning.
- Don’t be afraid to design dilemmas that force your kids to trust in God and test their faith (what movies to watch, what clothing they choose, working part-time in a very secular environment, etc). Be careful to use your personal veto sparingly and graciously.
- Encourage them to think big when it comes to trusting God for a major need in someone else’s life or their own (health, money, safety, etc)
- Encourage them to team with other teenagers who believe in a big God and serve side by side with them (mission trips, inner-city outreaches, care for the unfortunate, etc)
- Humbly share some of your own battles about who was going to be the master of your life and walk your children through the process you went through to arrive at your decision.
Please register for a free account to view this content
We hope you have enjoyed the 10 discipleship resources you have read in the last 30 days.
You have exceeded your 10 piece content limit.
Create a free account today to keep fueling your spiritual journey!
Already a member? Login to iDisciple