Three Realities of Heaven
“Since you have been raised to new life with Christ, set your sights on the realities of heaven, where Christ sits in the place of honor at God’s right hand.” (Colossians 3:1 NLT, second edition)
We have many misconceptions about what Heaven is like. You won’t be an angel. You won’t have wings. You’re not going to be a little chubby cherub, wear a white robe, or float on clouds.
To me, that would be Hell. I can’t think of anything more boring than being in a colorless place and having to play a harp!
We need a right view of Heaven — not Hollywood’s view. The Bible says in Colossians 3:1, “Since you have been raised to new life with Christ, set your sights on the realities of heaven, where Christ sits in the place of honor at God’s right hand” (NLT, second edition).
So what does the Bible say about these “realities of Heaven”?
- It’s where God lives and rules. The Bible calls Heaven “the dwelling place of God,” “the house of God,” and “the city of God.” It’s not only where God lives but also where he rules. Jesus calls Heaven “the Kingdom of God” or “the Kingdom of Heaven” 31 times.
- It is a real place. Heaven isn’t a state of mind, a state of being, or a disembodied condition where you’ll float around without a body. In fact, the Bible says in Heaven there will be streets, trees, water, and homes. Many Scriptures allude to the fact that animals are there. You’ll have a physical body in Heaven, too. Matthew 6:20 says we’re storing up treasures for ourselves in Heaven. You can’t store up treasures in a place that isn’t real.
- It is designed for you and me. God didn’t design Heaven for himself. He designed it for us. When God started thinking about Earth, he started thinking about Heaven. The Bible says God made the entire universe because he wanted a family with whom to spend eternity. Heaven is the place he’s designing for his family. We weren’t meant to live on Earth. You and I were made for Heaven!
Heaven is an amazing place. The Bible says, “No eye has seen, no ear has heard, and no mind has imagined what God has prepared for those who love him” (1 Corinthians 2:9b NLT).
Talk It Over
- What is significant about the fact that Heaven is a place where “God rules”?
- How does the reality of Heaven change the way you live here and now?
- What can you do this week to help someone hear about our home in Heaven?
Special Offer: God's Big Plans for Me Storybook Bible
Purchase Series: He Did It All For You Complete Audio Series