The Spirit of the Matter
Bible Reading: Acts 1 :4-8
When the Holy Spirit has come upon you, you will receive power and will tell people about me everywhere—Acts 1:8.
“Fine!" Melissa spat. “It might be true that God thinks I’m really worthwhile. I might even be his masterpiece. But right now I’m failing algebra-and I’m slipping in most of my other classes. I need a break from school, but if I fail they’ll make me sit inside all summer and do all my work again.”
Seeing yourself as God sees you isn’t a mind game. It isn’t telling yourself nice lies. It’s realizing that God has made you competent in Christ.
Paul wasn’t bragging when he said, “I can do everything with the help of Christ who gives me the strength I need” (Philippians 4: 13). He just knew he was gifted and equipped to serve God. And that fact is true of you too.
Being gifted by God doesn’t mean you’ll be a clone of the apostle Paul or that you’ll star at everything you do. It doesn’t mean you’ll never need to redo a class. Even so, God wants you to rest in the fact that he has equipped you to use the abilities he’s given you. He has called you to help reach the world, the most significant task he could give you.
Your connection with the Holy Spirit is the key to grasping the truth that God sees you as competent and useful. The Bible has loads to say about that relationship:
- You are born again by the Spirit (John 3:3-5).
- The Spirit lives inside you and will be with you forever (John 14:16-17).
- The Spirit teaches you what you need to know (John 14:26).
- The Spirit testifies to you that you belong to God (Romans 8:16).
- The Spirit guides you (Romans 8:14).
- The Spirit equips you with talents, abilities, and spiritual gifts so you can live a focused life in service of God (1 Corinthians 12:4, II).
- The Spirit prays for you when you’re weak (Romans 8:26-27).
- The Spirit develops his fruit in you: love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, and self-control (Galatians 5:22-23).
God reminds you through Paul in 1 Corinthians 1:7: “Now you have every spiritual gift you need as you eagerly wait for the return of our Lord Jesus Christ.” God has given everything you need to serve him. What a wonderful Father! You have everything you need to succeed at doing exactly what God wants you to be doing!
REFLECT: What difference does it make to you that the Holy Spirit lives inside you?
PRAY: Thank God for valuing you enough to make you competent to serve him.
Please register for a free account to view this content
We hope you have enjoyed the 10 discipleship resources you have read in the last 30 days.
You have exceeded your 10 piece content limit.
Create a free account today to keep fueling your spiritual journey!
Already a member? Login to iDisciple