The Original Blueprint for the Local Church
Jesus had a specific point of view regarding of the type of leadership that would be a part of unique internal and external workings of His church.
- His Church would call for a specific kind of servant leadership to be employed among its members to give life and authenticity to it's purpose to glorify God and fulfill vision of the Master Builder.
"Jesus called them together and said...Not so with you. Instead, whoever wants to become great among you must be your servant, and whoever wants to be first must be your slave- just as the Son of Man did not come to be served, but to serve, and to give his life as a ransom for many." Matthew 20:28
- His Church would call for leaders committed and involved in the nurture and care of both the weak and the mature members of the community.
Jesus said to Simon Peter, "Simon son of John, do you truly love me more than these?... Feed my lambs... Take care of my sheep... Feed my sheep." John 21:15-17
- His Church would call for leaders to model God grounded confidence and humility in fulfilling their service.
"If anyone loves me, he will obey my teaching. My Father will love him, and we will come to him and make our home with him. He who does not love me will not obey my teaching."
- Jesus has not relaxed the standard or withdrawn His active support from those who called to serve the leadership needs of His church.
- Leadership in the local church will continue to require renewal, refreshment and exercise of personal faith and obedience through vital spiritual habits such as solitude, prayer and study and application of scripture,
- The spiritual challenges of pride, fear and discouragement that come with leadership authority and responsibilities will be a daily challenge that can a must be overcome daily to provide the authentic love based leadership of Jesus
- Leadership in the local church will always be a collaborative effort in which individual weaknesses and blind spots must be compensated by a collective desire to employ love and truth in undivided humility and grace under the guidance of the Holy Spirit.
- Leadership in the local church is serious business that is called to be conducted with and create joy in those who lead and those who derive the benefits of their commitment to serve. When the joy vanishes repentance, grace and forgiveness must come quickly in prayer to repair the damage and set things right.
Pause and Reflect:
Listen with your heart to what Jesus said to his first disciples. Let it echo down through the ages to you and to your local church.
"If you remain in me and my words remain in you, ask whatever you wish, and it will be given you. This is to my Father's glory, that you bear much fruit, showing yourselves to be my disciples."
Written Phil Hodges
Please register for a free account to view this content
We hope you have enjoyed the 10 discipleship resources you have read in the last 30 days.
You have exceeded your 10 piece content limit.
Create a free account today to keep fueling your spiritual journey!
Already a member? Login to iDisciple