The Government Will be Upon His Shoulder
Text: Isaiah 9:6-7
“For unto us a child is born, unto us a son is given: and the government shall be upon his shoulder: and his name shall be called Wonderful, Counselor, The mighty God, The everlasting Father, The Prince of Peace. Of the increase of his government and peace there shall be no end, upon the throne of David, and upon his kingdom, to order it, and to establish it with judgment and with justice from henceforth even for ever. The zeal of the LORD of hosts will perform this."
1. Nowadays the U.S. economy is depending on the federal government to bail out the banking, insurance, and auto industries. No matter what we do, no one knows if these bailouts will actually work because we are human and finite.
2. “Government” refers to Jesus, who was born to have the responsibility of ruling the earth. Those who come to Him have the responsibility to allow Him to give them direction and lead their lives.
1. Jesus promised that we can give Him our burdens so we can have rest for our souls, if we would just come to Him (Matthew 11:28-29) as opposed to how people treat us, as found in Matthew 23:4.
III. His Names
1. “Wonderful”: Those who experience Him understand that He is truly wonderful and amazing because of His ability to perform anything He wants, and because of how good He treats His people, as opposed to how humans treat each other. Above all, His birth and redemption on the cross were the most amazing things ever undertaken in human history!
2. “Counselor”: The wisdom that comes from Him. His Word and His Spirit guide us in all aspects of life.
3. “Mighty God”: ‘Gibbor’ in Hebrew means champion. Jesus is our hero, our champion. He is a man of war who goes out to battle on our behalf against Satan for the Kingdom of God. We are more than conquerors through Christ.
4. “Everlasting Father”: He is the image of the Father in heaven.
5. “Prince of Peace”: He is the only one who can bring peace to the earth. Peace comes through conquest and victory, not pacification.
IV. God’s zeal will continue to make His government increase on the earth
1. The gospel will grow stronger, not weaker, as time goes on. I am not looking for the antichrist but Jesus Christ.
2. Those going against this go against what God is zealous to accomplish on the earth.