The Danger of a Hardening Heart
God speaks to all of us, but how we respond depends on the condition of our heart. Upon hearing the Lord’s voice, some believers are motivated to pursue a deeper and more obedient relationship with their Father. Others, however, resist or refuse Him because their heart has become less responsive.
A change in receptiveness may be difficult to recognize because it happens slowly and is often rationalized or excused. How do you respond when the Holy Spirit speaks to you through Scripture or some other means? Carefully consider the following characteristics of a developing callousness:
- Insensitivity to what God says
- Resistance to His authority
- Disobedience to what the Lord is instructing you to do
- Justification of sinful conduct
- Rejection of reproof by others
- Preoccupation with worldly things
- Little interest in spiritual matters
- Absence of private devotion (Bible reading and prayer)
- Avoidance of gathering to worship with other believers
If you’ve discovered any of the above traits in your life, it’s not too late. Ask the Lord to mold your heart (Isa. 64:8; Jer. 24:7). Remember, He specializes in making all things new (2 Corinthians 5:17) and delights in our turning to Him.
Please register for a free account to view this content
We hope you have enjoyed the 10 discipleship resources you have read in the last 30 days.
You have exceeded your 10 piece content limit.
Create a free account today to keep fueling your spiritual journey!
Already a member? Login to iDisciple