Should you tithe? Here are five good reasons why you should give the first 10 percent of what you earn to God.
“Bring the whole tithe into the storehouse...” says the LORD Almighty, “and see if I will not throw open the floodgates of heaven and pour out so much blessing that you will not have room enough for it” (Malachi 3:10, NIV).
Should you tithe? Here are five good reasons why you should give the first 10 percent of what you earn to God:
- God has always chosen the tithe as a way for people to show their faith in Him. Hundreds of years before the Law of Moses, Abraham and Jacob both tithed.
- The tithe acknowledges God’s ownership of all we have. When we tithe, we’re saying, “He’s entrusted all this to me, but this is the owner’s fee.” This is a basic expectation. It’s not an offering.
- It shows we trust God. The only time in Scripture God says for us to test Him is regarding the tithe!
- It shows God we put Him first. Bring the tithe to the Lord first, and see how God will bless you.
- Tithing naturally forces better stewardship. If you know you must live on 90 percent of your income, it forces you to be a better steward of God’s money.
If you are tithing to the church where you worship and serve, keep it up. If you are not tithing, why don’t you put God to the test and see if His promises are true?