Your enemy isn’t flesh and blood at all. Your battle is with Satan; he's the one who disrupts your life!
“For our struggle is not against flesh and blood, but against the rulers, against the authorities, against the powers of this dark world and against the spiritual forces of evil in the heavenly realms.” (Ephesians 6:12 NIV)
You have an enemy — and it’s not who you think it is. It isn’t the person you’re competing against at work. It isn’t the difficult neighbor. It isn’t your ex-spouse. It isn’t the group in your community who are taking unbiblical positions against you.
Your enemy isn’t flesh and blood at all.
“For our struggle is not against flesh and blood, but against the rulers, against the authorities, against the powers of this dark world and against the spiritual forces of evil in the heavenly realms” (Ephesians 6:12 NIV).
Your battle is with Satan.
One of the reasons we so often walk around in discouragement and defeat is because we don’t really understand who we’re battling. We don’t understand who our real enemy is. We blame the economy, a political party, a segment of people, or the person we can’t stand down the street.
We blame everyone but the one whom the Bible calls a thief and a liar who is out to destroy anyone who loves and follows Jesus.
To find victory in your life over what’s dragging you down, you’ve got to start by attacking the right enemy.
When you do, keep these truths in mind as you battle against your true enemy, Satan.
- You’re no match for Satan. It’s like trying to shoot a rubber band at a battleship. Outside of Jesus, you have no hope of defeating Satan’s influence over your life.
- Everyone gets used by Satan. Satan will put thoughts in the minds of Christians and non-Christians alike. At times we can all be a pawn of Satan. Protect yourself with the armor of God (see Ephesians 6:10-17).
- Not everything that is spiritual is good. There’s spiritual light and spiritual darkness. Don’t fall for the lie that all roads to God are equal. Jesus said, “I am the way and the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me” (John 14:6 NIV).
- Satan doesn’t fight fair. Satan can’t slug you, so instead he puts discouraging and depressing ideas into your mind. You’ve got to catch him in the act, let him know you know where the idea comes from, and ask Jesus for help.
Satan is real. He’s the enemy who has been disrupting your life. But there’s good news: He doesn’t have a chance against Jesus.
Talk It Over
- Who have you considered your enemy? What are the thoughts that have been in your head lately that you know are from Satan?
- What are you going to do to counterattack those thoughts and to guard your mind?