Pray Continually for Your Children
"I pray for them. I am not praying for the world, but for those you have given me, for they are yours." (John 17:9 NIV)
Jesus reflected the father heart of God when he prayed for the disciples. As a father or mother, you can pray that your children will focus on the five purposes of God.
God's five purposes for your children are the same as God's five purposes for your life. Jesus prayed for all five purposes in the lives of those he was leading: "I pray for them. I am not praying for the world, but for those you have given me, for they are yours" (John 17:9 NIV).
1. We can pray that our children will live for Christ joyfully: "I pray these things while I'm still in the world so that they will have the same joy that I have" (John 17:13b GW).
2. We can pray that our children will grow strong spiritually: "I'm not asking you to take them out of the world, but to keep them safe from the evil one" (John 17:15 NLT).
3. We can pray that our children will serve Christ effectively: "Make them ready for your service through your truth; your teaching is truth" (John 17:17 NCV).
4. We can pray that our children will experience fellowship personally: "My prayer is that they will be of one heart and mind, just as You and I are one, Father … and the world will believe You sent Me" (John 17:21 LB).
5. We can pray that our children will bring others to Christ regularly: "I pray not only for them, but also for those who will believe in me because of their message" (John 17:20 TEV).
Talk About It
What are ways you can pray your children live for Christ? Grow strong? Serve Christ? Experience fellowship? Bring others to Christ?
Purchase Series: Connecting with God: The Lord’s Prayer
This devotional © 2016 by Rick Warren. All rights reserved. Used by permission.
Please register for a free account to view this content
We hope you have enjoyed the 10 discipleship resources you have read in the last 30 days.
You have exceeded your 10 piece content limit.
Create a free account today to keep fueling your spiritual journey!
Already a member? Login to iDisciple