News Flash: It's Not About You
I am always bothered by people who continually talk only about themselves. People who think that the world literally revolves around them. People who constantly are only worried about how things will affect them personally. They pretend to be interested in others, but really are only concerned with furthering their career or pushing their agenda or making a bigger deal about themselves.
It's Not about You. Really. It's Not.
So here are a few thoughts on combating the "You" paradigm:
- Be Selfless. Being Selfless is Biblical. It's Jesus focused, Jesus centered and Jesus honoring. And it's a lifestyle. You can't just turn the selfless button on and off. You have to embrace it fully.
- Fight against pride constantly. Pride is a Killer. It's a collaboration killer. It will corrupt a team. And it will corrupt your own leadership growth. It is deadly when given the chance to flourish. Many times, pride is induced not by leaders, but more by those around them who feel a burden to make their leader so elevated that they end up furthering the problem instead of helping squelch it.
- Be generous. This is a great way to combat your tendency to think that you own it, and everything is about you. Especially with money or possessions. When you sense in your life a strong pull towards hoarding, just intentionally be more generous than normal.
- Honest friends. A crucial component in fighting the "You" paradigm. Surround yourself with friends who will be brutally honest, and will tell you when you are being selfish and too "you" focused. Us is way better than me or you.
- Ego Leak about others. If your ego has a hard time being contained, then let it leak about others. Puff others up, and make a big deal about others around you. Let your ego leak toward those around you.
Please register for a free account to view this content
We hope you have enjoyed the 10 discipleship resources you have read in the last 30 days.
You have exceeded your 10 piece content limit.
Create a free account today to keep fueling your spiritual journey!
Already a member? Login to iDisciple