Today’s Reading: Matthew 3-4
Key Verse: Matthew 3:14
“I have need to be baptised by you and are you coming to me?”
These words were spoken by John the Baptist to Jesus. Later in chapter 11 Jesus says, “There has not been one greater than John the Baptist.”
What was the evidence of John’s greatness?
(1) John had a great message! “Repent!” Turn from your own way and go God’s way; (2) John had humility. John did not consider himself a great personality, just a “voice!” He declared, “I am not worthy to carry His sandals”; (3) John had a great sense of his own need. “I need to be baptised by You,” he said. John the Baptist, according to Luke’s Gospel, was named by an angel. His birth was prophesied in advance. He was eventually beheaded because he stood for Truth. What a great man! He confessed to Jesus, “I need you.” This is greatness.
PRAYER FOR TODAY:
– Jesus, I need you, and I’m confident that, as the Apostle Paul wrote in Philippians 4:19, “God shall supply all your need, according to His riches in glory by Christ Jesus.“
100 Personal Words:
Watching TV or reading newspapers, I have often exclaimed, “You need Jesus!” For June 2012, Crossroads has published, It’s All About Jesus, a book of true stories of Jesus meeting human need in the present.
His timing may not be to our liking. I remember the singer Jimmy McDonald, saying on the 100 Huntley Street TV show that there are four ways God answers prayer:
- No! (It’s not the best for you);
- Grow! (we must change first);
- Slow! (circumstances must change first); and,
- Go! (This is God’s “Yes!”).
Listen very carefully and you will hear God’s answer.
Please register for a free account to view this content
We hope you have enjoyed the 10 discipleship resources you have read in the last 30 days.
You have exceeded your 10 piece content limit.
Create a free account today to keep fueling your spiritual journey!
Already a member? Login to iDisciple