Mike Glenn shares 12 life lessons from University of Tennessee women’s basketball coach Pat Summitt.
The front page of The Tennesseean
featured an article on Pat Summitt, the legendary coach of the University of Tennessee women’s basketball team. Most of you know I’m a Bama fan, but I know greatness when I see it and Coach Summitt is a great basketball coach. She has redefined the sport for generations.
The article reprinted the “Definite Dozen,” the twelve principles Coach Summit taught her players to live by. I thought they were worth listing here.
The Definite Dozen by Pat Summitt
- Respect yourself and others.
- Take full responsibility.
- Develop and demonstrate loyalty.
- Learn to be a great communicator.
- Discipline yourself so no one else has to.
- Make hard work your passion.
- Don’t just work hard; work smart.
- Put the team before yourself.
- Make winning an attitude.
- Be a competitor.
- Change is a must.
- Handle success like you handle failure.
Coach Summitt won a lot of games following these principles… my guess is we could win a lot more if we followed them as well.