It's All About Character
Bible Reading: Galatians 5:19-23
When the Holy Spirit controls our lives, he will produce this kind of fruit in us: love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, and self-control. Galatians 5:22-23
Dating is no game. But pretend it is. Here are some rules and tips for winning:
Object of the Game
Find a friend with whom you want to spend the rest of your life.
Rules of the Game
- Character qualities --not popularity, good looks, possessions, or the opinions of friends-- should decide who you go out with. Use Galatians 5:22-23 as a list of positive character qualities you are looking for.
- Major on friendship. Romance may follow. But don’t go looking for it.
- You don’t own the other person, so always give him or her the freedom to date other people.
- Consider respect a key ingredient. Be respectful of your date’s interests and wishes, and conduct yourself in a way that you keep his or her respect.
Tips for Playing the Game
- Define what you are worth by who you are in Christ, not by who you date or what people think of your choice.
- Treat your date as you want your future spouse to treat you.
- Work on becoming the best person inwardly you possibly can be.
- To really get to be close friends, avoid getting too physical.
The most significant part of dating is who you go out with. Why? News flash: Short of winning a bride or groom on a bizarre TV game show, you will end up marrying someone you date. If you date people who exhibit the character traits listed in Galatians 5:19-21, for example, you greatly increase your odds of marrying a loser. But if you date winners, it’s likely you will marry a winner.
It’s the stuff on the inside that makes someone a winner. Now, that doesn’t mean you have to date people you don’t like to look at. And it doesn’t mean that you should stop trying to look your best. But if you’re searching for someone to date, start by studying what kind of person a potential date is on the inside. Are his or her inner qualities consistent with yours? Do his or her standards match up with the Bible’s standards? If you can say “yes!” then you’ve found a winner.
REFLECT: So, why be careful about the people you date?
PRAY: Ask God for a date --and a mate-- who meets his standards.
Please register for a free account to view this content
We hope you have enjoyed the 10 discipleship resources you have read in the last 30 days.
You have exceeded your 10 piece content limit.
Create a free account today to keep fueling your spiritual journey!
Already a member? Login to iDisciple