Is God for You? How?
If God is for us, who can be against us? Romans 8:31 (NIV)
Have you ever wondered, “How is God for me? In what way is he actually for me? What is the extent of God’s grace?” These things are worth thinking about, because the way you ultimately answer them will have a deep impact on how you live your life.
The Bible says that God is for you in at least these five ways:
- God’s judgment is for you in justification ( 5:1).
- God’s power is for you in sanctification (1 Thes. 1:5).
- God’s love is for you in adoption (Rom. 8:14-15).
- God’s good purpose is for you in glorification (Rom. 8:29-30).
- God is totally for you in Jesus Christ (2 Cor. 1:20).
Now let’s go back and look at the original question the apostle Paul asked: “If God is for us, who can be against us?” In other words, Paul is saying, “If God is in your corner, you must prevail.” Why is God telling us this? Why do we need to know it? What’s the point?
Because if you have a deep conviction about these things, then you will have joy and you will have the ability to endure, even in the midst of your darkest suffering and trials.
On a scale of 1 (I have none!) to 10 (I am convinced!), how much confidence do you have that God is for you in these five ways? Where does your confidence (and/or lack of confidence) stem from?