iDisciple Podcast: Emptied
Our guest on today’s podcast, Jonathan Pitts, along with his late wife Wynter Pitts invite you on a journey to explore a different approach to your happily-ever-after marriage in their new book, Emptied.
Emptied is a way of life. It's not about trying harder; it's about thinking differently. Only when you are emptied of your own self-focused motivations can God pour new life into you for the abundant marriage and satisfying relationship you long for.
Jonathan Pitts is an author, speaker, and the executive pastor at Church of the City in Franklin, Tennessee. He previously served as the executive director at the Urban Alternative, the national ministry of Dr. Tony Evans.
Jonathan has co-authored two books alongside his late wife, Wynter Pitts. He is also president and co-founder of For Girls Like You Ministries, an equipping and resourcing ministry for tween girls and their parents.
Jonathan is the father of four daughters and was blessed with fifteen intentional years of marriage to Wynter.
- Jonathan and David speak briefly about Jonathan and Wynter’s marriage and relationship and their journey towards writing their new book, Emptied.
- Jonathan talks about the differences in their backgrounds and what that looked like in conflict.
- Jonathan talks about reading a chapter that Wynter had written about expectations that she realized she had brought into the marriage that he never knew about, and how that realization opened his eyes to how unmet expectation in marriage can be a source of contention, and about he and Wynter worked through that.
- Jonathan tells a funny story about their beautiful wedding picture that holds a much deeper meaning for him.
- David touches on the part in the book where Jonathan mentions Romans 12:12, and Jonathan expands on how renewing our mind by investing in pursuit of the Lord helps to produce the fruit of the Spirit in your lives and ultimately express them toward your spouse.