How the Cross Proves Your Value
“Come to the Lord, the living stone rejected by people as worthless but chosen by God as valuable” (1 Peter 2:4 GNT).
God says that not only are you accepted; you’re also valuable!
How much do you think you’re worth? I’m not talking about your net worth; I’m talking about your self-worth. Don’t ever confuse your valuables with your value as a person. You can be rich or poor, but it has nothing to do with your value as a person.
Two things determine value in life:
- Value is what someone is willing to pay for something.
- Value depends on who has owned something in the past.
Based on these two things, what’s your value? Ask yourself, “Who owns me?” and “What was paid for me?” The Bible says, “You have been bought and paid for by Christ, so you belong to him” (1 Corinthians 7:23a TLB).
You belong to God, and Jesus paid for you with his life. The Cross proves your value.
Nobody has ever paid a greater ransom than God paid for you! You’re acceptable, and you’re valuable.
Peter uses the imagery of a building project to illustrate our value. God is building this stone building that represents the Church, the family of God, and you’re one of the stones. “Come to the Lord, the living stone rejected by people as worthless” (1 Peter 2:4a TEV). Jesus is the living stone. He was perfect, but some people still rejected him. Some of you may think, “If I could just be perfect, then I would be accepted.” No! Jesus was perfect, but even he wasn’t accepted by everyone. But he was “chosen by God as valuable.”
God is building his Church, but it’s not found in temples or church buildings. God lives in people, and you are his spiritual house. Peter says that you’re a living stone. When you give your life to Christ, you become a building block in God’s great plan.
Talk It Over
- How does understanding a Christian’s value in God’s eyes change the way you treat yourself and other believers?
- What is the evidence in your life that you have grasped the freedom that comes from being ransomed by Jesus Christ?
- Once you stop trying to earn God or anyone else’s approval, how can you instead spend that energy by sharing this message of God’s approval with others?
Purchase Series: Hearing the Voice Of God - Complete Audio Series
This devotional © 2017 by Rick Warren. All rights reserved. Used by permission.