Held Up in the Stronghold
Scripture: 2 Samuel 5:1-3, 1 Chronicles 11:1-3, 1 Chronicles 12:23-40, 2 Samuel 5:17-25, 1 Chronicles 14:8-17, 2 Samuel 5:6-10, 1 Chronicles 11:4-9, 1 Chronicles 3:4, 2 Samuel 5:13, 2 Samuel 5:4-5, 2 Samuel 5:11-12, 1 Chronicles 14:1-2, 1 Chronicles 13:1-5, 2 Samuel 6:1-11, 1 Chronicles 13:6-14
"When the Philistines heard that David had been anointed king of Israel, they mobilized all their forces to capture him. But David was told they were coming so he went into the stronghold." (2 Samuel 5:17 NLT)
Finally the wait ended and David received his rightful acknowledgement and appointment as king of Israel. He’d been crowned, but where was the fanfare and the pomp and circumstance? They were not happening. Instead, David found himself once again hiding from an adversary.
Picture the scene. David consulted with the Lord, followed His leading, and gave God the glory and praise for another victory. "The LORD did it!" (2 Samuel 5:20a NLT). Yet David couldn’t stop and celebrate for long; the Philistines were after him again. Sometimes it seems the enemy will never give up!
We can soak in what David learned about the enemy’s pursuit:
- Even when God’s promise to us is fulfilled, we will more than likely still meet adversity.
- We need a place of solace, safety, and security to consult with the Lord.
- The Lord is faithful to give us an answer. We must be faithful to obey.
- When victory comes, the praise and glory do not belong to us.
- The enemy is persistent, but the Lord is our stronghold and mighty to save.
Let’s establish a stronghold, a place of solace, safety, and security where you and I meet with the Lord on a daily basis. Then when the enemy attacks we will have a safe and familiar place to consult with the Lord. I can't wait to shout, "The LORD did it!"
He did. Praise God, He did.