Hear and Follow God's Calling
If you remember only one thing from the Crossroads Career Network, with all its resources about finding jobs and careers, it is to “hear and follow God’s calling.”
“Thus says the Lord, ‘Stand at the crossroads and look; ask for the ancient paths, ask where the good way is, and walk in it, and you will find rest for your souls” Jeremiah 6:16 (NIV).
Several key messages emerge from this one verse:
- We often measure the importance of a message by the messenger. In this case, He is the Lord!
- We're often at crossroads in life. What is a crossroads? According to Merriam Webster, the definition can include:
- The place of intersection of two or more roads
- A small community located at such a crossroads, or central meeting place
- A crucial point, especially where a decision must be made
- NOTE: For us, all three meanings are important. An intersection can mean different paths on life's journey. Crossroads Career Network is a relatively small community offering assistance in finding jobs, changing careers and in answering God’s call. For those we serve at life's crossroads, this often entails "a crucial point, especially where a decision must be made."
- Notice several imperative verbs in the verse: stand, look, ask and walk. Explicit directives--and, of course, asking us to do the opposite of what most of us want to do when finding ourselves at life's crossroads.
- Notice the progression of actions:
- Stand at the crossroads which suggests that we be still.
- Look not only at the crossroads, but also around the crossroads and to the Lord.
- Ask for the ancient, hidden and eternal paths which the Lord can reveal.
- Ask for the good, pleasant, agreeable way.
- Walk in what see and hear from the Lord.
- Find rest for our souls, which is even better than simply making a decision.
The great need and opportunity is for each of us to hear and follow God’s calling – every step of the way!