God’s Creative Provisions
One of the most amazing discoveries you will make, as you begin to more faithfully and generously give to God’s work at your church and beyond, is that God will begin to show himself as your provider in unique and creative ways.
While I am not an advocate of the prosperity gospel and the health and wealth religion promoted by some TV evangelists, I have seen that people who honor God in their giving experience God’s blessings in a variety of ways. Since the Bible clearly teaches that God owns EVERYTHING, He can be very creative in how He goes about providing for your needs.
Scriptures that have shaped my understanding and experience of God’s creative provisions include:
- Proverbs 13:22: A sinner’s wealth is stored up for the righteous.
- Ecclesiastes 2:26: To the sinner, God gives the task of gathering and storing up wealth to hand it over to the one who pleases God.
- Job 27:16-17: Evil people may have all the money in the world, and they may store away mounds of clothing. But the righteous will wear that clothing.
- Isaiah 45:3: I will give you the treasures of darkness, riches stored in secret places.
In these verses and in my experience of walking with the Lord, I have seen that He often “transfers the ownership” of specifically needed items without cost or at significant savings to faithful givers.
Many people think that their needs are met through their paychecks, and not necessarily from God. While God may use a person’s wages to provide for many needs, God is so much bigger than a paycheck! A company may be your employer, but God is your true provider.
I encourage you to pray and ask God to lead you to His provisions to meet your needs. The Lord may choose to use your current income, savings, increased income, or He may lead you to the very item you need without cost or at a significant savings.
Some ways I have seen the Lord creatively provide beyond a regular paycheck include:
- Needed items provided through friends, relatives, neighbors, or other Christians: As people move through the different seasons of life, they often have possessions they no longer need. They are often willing to give away or sell items at significant savings to someone they know could use them.
- Inheritances, bonuses, and scholarships: I have known of people that have been totally surprised by amounts of money they have unexpectedly received from relatives, employers, or educational institutions.
- Retail stores and manufacturers: In today’s tight retail economy, there are many sales that will allow you to experience 40-90% off through sales, clearance racks, overruns, returns, floor models, and demo merchandise.
- Bankruptcies, estate sales, repossessions, and auctions: While you have to know the market value ahead of time, these outlets for merchandise, vehicles, housing, etc. can be great sources for God-given provisions.
- Government: There are many ways a government program can be used by God to directly benefit someone.
- Consignment shops, thrift shops, and garage sales: Often you can get quality or functional merchandise for 50-95% off the retail price through these sources.