Giving It All

Description

Tithing is a reflection of how much we trust God for provision and whether or not we’re willing to be obedient to Scripture.

Read: Proverbs 30:7-9 & Matthew 6:11

Many of us are familiar with the concept of tithing. To tithe is to give the first 10 percent of our income back to the Lord. It’s not just about writing a check every month. It’s a reflection of how much we trust God for provision and whether or not we’re willing to be obedient to scripture. Only a small percentage of NewSpring members and attenders tithe regularly. There is either a lack of faith, a misunderstanding about the Lord, or both.

Proverbs 30 gives us a correct perspective on tithing. Tithing is not about how much we’re required to give, but how much we require to live. The church could begin to advance in a way that the world hasn't seen since Acts if we embraced the idea that there is such thing as “too much” and gave all of the excess, not to our 401k, but to the church. Did you know the world’s basic needs—food, water and shelter—could be met for the amount the Americans spend on ice cream every year? Accepting this idea requires a redefinition of wealth and a decision about what our priorities will be.

We are forced to ask ourselves: Where is my heart? If we truly believe God gives us all things, we must expand our concept of giving to include every aspect of our lives. All of our time, talent and income are gifts from the Lord. We are called to give the first 10 percent of our income to the church, but that doesn't mean God isn't interested in how we steward the remaining 90 percent. We are called to give our whole lives, and trust God’s provision for our “daily bread.” After all, it’s what Jesus asked for.

 

Please register for a free account to view this content

We hope you have enjoyed the 10 discipleship resources you have read in the last 30 days.
You have exceeded your 10 piece content limit.
Create a free account today to keep fueling your spiritual journey!

Already a member? Login to iDisciple

Related
Tithing on Child Support
Howard Dayton
There's Hope for Your Finances
Ronnie Floyd
Financial Principles
Ron Blue
The Value of Small Things
Guideposts
Token of My Trust 
Andrew Wommack
Follow Us

Want to access more exclusive iDisciple content?

Upgrade to a Giving Membership today!

Already a member? Login to iDisciple