Forget American Express
“To keep me from becoming conceited because of these surpassingly great rev-elations, there was given me a thorn in my flesh, a messenger of Satan, to torment me. Three times I pleaded with the Lord to take it away from me. But he said to me, ‘My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness.’ Therefore I will boast all the more gladly about my weaknesses, so that Christ's power may rest on me.” (2 Corinthians 12:7-9, NIV)
In the business world, the American Express Centurion Card says that you have arrived. With it, you can travel the world and be assured that you can get what you need and that you are covered and protected.
In this passage, Paul tells us we are covered and protected by God’s grace. His message on God’s grace is one of the most powerful in the New Testament and has served as the theme of thousands of sermons, books, articles, and hymns, including the classic, Amazing Grace. God’s grace (freely given, unmerited favor, mercy and love of God) is all we ever need. I am convinced that our carnal mind cannot understand or comprehend God’s grace which was poured into us by the Holy Spirit when we accepted Jesus as our Lord and Savior.
As we mature spiritually, we begin to see with our spiritual eyes. We feel God’s presence and love with our spiritual heart. We hear His voice with our spiritual ears. We come to know the very nature, beauty and wonder of God’s grace. Picture His grace as a suit of clothes. God’s “Suit of Grace” is:
(1) made from God’s perfect love, the strongest most reliable substance known to heaven and man
(2) designed to last and never wears out, tears or rips
(3) reliable, never tarnishes and is suitable for every situation
(4) expandable and fits even more securely as we grow in Christ
(5) radiant and emits a bright light that illuminates our path
(6) life-changing as it enables us to do the impossible
(7) transformational and takes our natural and turns it into God’s supernatural
(8) our source of power as we walk in His strength and anointing
(9) our guarantee of victory and allows us to win all the time no matter what.
The next time you’re facing a difficult situation, forget American Express.
Reach for and call on Jesus Christ who feely gives us His grace. Remember you’re wearing a special gift from God. Your “Suit of Grace” is all you need!
Lord, thank you for your unmerited grace. Continue to show me and teach me that your grace is all I ever need. Through the blood of Jesus and in the name of Jesus I pray, amen.