Five Things You’ll Leave Behind in Heaven
“He will wipe every tear from their eyes, and there will be no more death or sorrow or crying or pain. All these things are gone forever.” (Revelation 21:4 NLT, second edition)
Popular culture tells us many myths about what Heaven will be like. Much of it isn’t grounded in the Bible. The truth is, describing Heaven is beyond the capacity of the greatest writers. It’s just far more amazing than mere words can describe.
But we do have some clues to what Heaven will be like. I mentioned before five things that will be a part of Heaven. It may be, though, that the most profound part of the Bible’s description of Heaven is what it says won’t be there.
Here are five pieces of our earthly existence that won’t be part of our heavenly one:
- Sickness. (1 Corinthians 15:42-43) You’ll have a body in Heaven, but it’ll be a perfect one. No more disease. No more illness. No more hunger. You won’t even have gas in Heaven! Heaven is a perfect place. Your body will be perfect, too.
- Sadness. (Revelation 21:4) You’ll never get your heart broken in Heaven. You’ll never be rejected. You’ll never grieve. The Bible actually says God will wipe away every tear from your eyes. You’ll spend billions and trillions of years in Heaven, and you won’t spend a second of that time being sad.
- Suffering. (Revelation 7:16) The Bible says, “No more hunger, no more thirst, no more scorching heat.” In Heaven my wife and I won’t need different controls on the thermostat! Every need we have will be satisfied.
- Sin. (Jude 1:24) Heaven is a perfect place. That’s what Jesus came to do — die on the cross so that imperfect people, like you and me, can get into Heaven. The Bible says that when we’re face to face with Jesus, our character will be instantly changed to be like his. You’ll have your personality but Jesus’ character.
- Death. (Revelation 21:4) You’ll live forever in Heaven, but you won’t live forever with all the sickness, sin, and imperfections that you now struggle through. You’ll get to live forever with a perfect body.
I don’t know about you, but that’s exciting to me! I can live without all five of those things.
You can learn about how you can know for sure you’ll spend forever in Heaven on my website at rickwarren.org/know-god. And if you pray to make Jesus the boss of your life, please let me know! Write me at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Talk It Over
- What will it mean to you to have a perfect body in Heaven?
- If you were going to tell a non-believing friend about one of these characteristics of earthly living that won’t be a part of Heaven, which one would you talk about? Why?
- Which of the five parts of earthly living that won’t be a part of Heaven are you most excited about living without? Why?
Special Offer: "Eternal Realities: Heaven and Hell" Complete Audio Series
Purchase Series: "Eternal Realities: Heaven and Hell" Complete Audio Series
Please register for a free account to view this content
We hope you have enjoyed the 10 discipleship resources you have read in the last 30 days.
You have exceeded your 10 piece content limit.
Create a free account today to keep fueling your spiritual journey!
Already a member? Login to iDisciple