Five Reasons You May Not Be Leading
I hear it from someone every time I post on leadership. They claim they want to be a leader. Some might even feel they have the skills and gifting of leadership. They just aren't leading.
Here are the 5 most common reasons I have heard or observed about why people aren't leading today:
1. You don’t have a cause/anything to lead – You say you would lead something if someone gave you an opportunity.
My advice: Find something to lead! The world is full of problems. Choose one you are passionate about and start leading.
2. You are afraid – You fear you may not have what it takes and the challenge is big.
My advice: Leading takes people into the unknown. It’s natural to be afraid. Be willing to walk by faith.
3. You gave up – It was hard…you got hurt…perhaps you failed…so you quit.
My advice: Get up and try again. The best leaders have failed many times, perhaps more times than they have succeeded.
4. You don’t think you know how – You never learned the secrets of leadership.
My advice: Join the school of leadership. Leaders are all around you. Watch…listen…read…learn…ask questions. You can learn skills of leadership if you are teachable. The best leaders are still learning how to lead.
5. You think you don’t have authority to lead – You feel you are in a stifling environment.
My advice: Either learn to “lead up”, influencing people that are supposed to lead you or find a place that values your input. The world is changing and the newest and healthiest environments allow people to grow in leadership.
Are you not leading today, but you think you should be? What’s your excuse? Do any of these fit your situation?
What other excuses have you seen for people that don’t lead?