Family Night Ideas: Back to School Shoes
Back to School Shoes
September means back-to-school shopping. And shopping means that kids often get some cool new shoes! This month, focus on what it is like to “be in another person’s shoes.” The strongest families have a keen awareness and sensitivity to one another’s world, the joys and challenges that each person encounters.
Find some time when all family members are present and take turns finishing the sentences below. Kids go first:
- The best thing about being my age is… (and tell why).
2. The hardest thing about being my age is… (and tell why).
3. During my day at school/work, the hardest thing I face is…
4. During my day at school/work, the part I enjoy most is…
Encourage everyone in the family to listen carefully to the answers. And remember: There are no wrong answers. Make sure you accept all responses without dismissal or judgment. Refrain from any comments like, “Oh, yea. You think that’s hard. Just wait until…”or “Oh sure. That’s easy for you to say. You don’t know what it’s really like to…”
When each person talks about the best parts about their age or their day, be sure to celebrate. That might sound like this:
- I hadn’t thought about that! I’ll bet that is a fun part about being 10 years old.
- Nice! I’m super glad you get to go to the playground every day!
When each person talks about the challenges of their age or their day, be sure to show compassion. That might sound like this:
- Whoa. Thanks for letting us know. I’m sorry that happens.
- It makes me sad to know that…
- I appreciate you letting me know what your world is like. I want to hear more about that later, so I know how to support you.
Give everyone a chance to respond and then ask: Did you gain any insight about what it’s like to be in another person’s shoes? Any surprises? End your time with a prayer. Thank Jesus for the positive things about your lives and ask for His grace and help in the hard times.
Please register for a free account to view this content
We hope you have enjoyed the 10 discipleship resources you have read in the last 30 days.
You have exceeded your 10 piece content limit.
Create a free account today to keep fueling your spiritual journey!
Already a member? Login to iDisciple