Faithfully Facing the Future
My oldest graduated from high school last year… the same year my two youngest graduated from preschool! That’s nuts!
After earning a bunch of scholarships and grants, he was blessed to finish his first year of college debt-free! What a blessing!
Unfortunately we are heading into his second year without the funding we had hoped for and are having to make some adjustments. I’m so very blessed to have an absolutely wonderful son… truly. He’s willing to do what needs to be done to make good decisions.
I keep thinking about our dear children. And how we ask them to make huge life decisions with only 18 years of life behind them! I’ve got more than 40 and I’m struggling!
As we ponder the options and discuss pros and cons, I’m continually reminded that God is trustworthy and good. And I’m trying to model to my son's faith in that truth as I try to make decisions for our family.
I always want to make sure I’m absolutely positive about my decision before I make it. I want to know that I’m doing the right thing at the right time in the right way.
But God keeps reminding me that He is sovereign and I don’t need to fret so much… actually at all!
A friend recently reminded me that often we have to step out in faith even when we aren’t positive about the outcome. Sometimes that stepping out is terrifying and huge and seems absolutely crazy… but God blesses our faithful footsteps even if they are a bit tentative at first.
Right now I’m moving forward on some things without the usual safety nets I’d like under me. And I have to admit I’m excited to see what God does! I can’t wait to see what doors He opens and how He leads me! And what a beautiful opportunity to model faith and trust for my children!
I want to demonstrate to my children what it looks like to trust God. As a parent I want my children to know that:
- God is trustworthy. Some trust in chariots and some in horses, but we trust in the name of the LORD our God—Proverbs 20:7.
- God has a great and wonderful plan for each one of them… and it’s their plan alone – no need to compare or contrast with anyone else. God’s design for their lives is always best! Only let each person lead the life that the Lord has assigned to him, and to which God has called him—1 Corinthians 7:17.
- God will prepare them completely for His wonderful purpose for their lives. And I am sure of this, that he who began a good work in you will bring it to completion at the day of Jesus Christ—Philippians 1:6.
- God will reveal His plan at just the right time… be patient! Make me to know your ways, O Lord; teach me your paths. Lead me in your truth and teach me, for you are the God of my salvation; for you I wait all the day long—Psalm 25:4-5.
- God is sovereign. He will use them where ever they are to accomplish His purposes for their lives. The heart of man plans his way, but the LORD establishes his steps—Proverbs 16:9.
- Decisions about school, majors and careers are not as important as decisions about character, love, and faith. But he who is noble plans noble things, and on noble things he stands—Isaiah 32:8.
God has got tomorrow handled… we do not need to worry! What a blessed truth to give our children!
Written by: Sue Birdseye
Please register for a free account to view this content
We hope you have enjoyed the 10 discipleship resources you have read in the last 30 days.
You have exceeded your 10 piece content limit.
Create a free account today to keep fueling your spiritual journey!
Already a member? Login to iDisciple