“But I say, walk by the Spirit, and you will not gratify the desires of the flesh.”Galatians 5:16
My wife, Danielle, and I are currently reading through the book Love and Respect. We have both read this book before but we are now discussing a chapter a week to help us better understand each other’s needs. So far it has been incredibly fruitful.
There have been some great revelations I have received from doing this, but three things have really stuck out to me from reading this book:
- A husband’s unconditional love for his wife reveals his love for Christ.
- A wife’s unconditional respect for her husband reveals her reverence for Christ.
- In the ultimate sense, your marriage has nothing to do with your spouse. It has everything to do with your relationship with Christ.
As someone who does well with simple concepts, these three thoughts really resonated with me. It made me think beyond my relationship with Danielle to other areas of my life as well. One of them being the area of stewardship:
- How I handle what God has entrusted me with reveals my love for Christ.
- How I handle what God has entrusted me with reveals my reverence for Christ.
- In the ultimate sense, how I handle what God has entrusted me with has nothing to do with me. It has everything to do with my relationship with Christ.
Many times we tend to compartmentalize our relationship with the Lord- often without realizing it. Our relationship with the Lord is key to every area of our lives; finances, marriages, family, work, etc. I would encourage you to evaluate these areas of your life and see where your relationship with Christ fits in with each. As you strive to put Christ in the forefront of every area you will be able to love, serve and honor the Lord and those around you in a significant way!
Written by Kyle Hasbrouck