Do You Want Him to Visit Your Garden?
In Deuteronomy 6, God reminds His people that their hearts should be steadfast toward Him. Knowing that our hearts tend to wander, and knowing that the faith of one generation is not guaranteed for the next, God commanded His people to go out of their way to remember His truths in every little activity of their day.
Here are 10 well-known, easy-to-remember verses to help us keep our hearts trained on God through even the most mundane events of the day. You might want to place each verse in an appropriate place—by the alarm clock, in the bathroom, on a shopping list—as a reminder of His goodness to us and our dependence on Him. These would be great verses for you and your children to memorize.
1. Waking up—"This is the day which the Lord has made; Let us rejoice and be glad in it." Psalm 118:24
2. Showering (coming clean)—"If we confess our sins, He is faithful and righteous to forgive us our sins and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness." 1 John 1:9
3. Getting dressed—"I will rejoice greatly in the Lord, My soul will exult in my God; For He has clothed me with garments of salvation, He has wrapped me with a robe of righteousness." Isaiah 61:10a
4. Mealtimes—"Whether, then, you eat or drink or whatever you do, do all to the glory of God." 1 Corinthians 10:31
5. Caring for children—"If you then, being evil, know how to give good gifts to your children, how much more will your Father who is in heaven give what is good to those who ask Him!" Matthew 7:11
6. Making phone calls—"Call to Me and I will answer you, and I will tell you great and mighty things, which you do not know." Jeremiah 33:3
7. Working—"Whatever you do, do your work heartily, as for the Lord rather than for men." Colossians 3:23
8. Grocery shopping—"Who gives food to all flesh, for His lovingkindness is everlasting. Give thanks to the God of heaven, for His lovingkindness is everlasting." Psalm 136:25-26
9. Paying bills—"Do not worry then, saying, `What will we eat?' or 'What will we drink?' or 'What will we wear for clothing?' For the Gentiles eagerly seek all these things; for your heavenly Father knows that you need all these things. But seek first His kingdom and His righteousness, and all these things will be added to you." Matthew 6:31-33
10. Going to sleep—"In peace I will both lie down and sleep, for You alone, O Lord, make me to dwell in safety." Psalm 4:8