Change Your Thinking; Change Your Life!
Experts say that we understand vastly more about the human brain than we used to—but we still know very little. The brain is still one of God’s great mysteries. For example:
- There are about 100 billion neurons in the human brain, the same number of stars in our galaxy.
- The slowest speed information travels between neurons is 260 mph.
- The energy used by the brain is enough to light a 25 watt bulb.
- The average number of thoughts that humans are believed to experience each day is 70,000.
Wow! No wonder the Bible has so much to say about our thought life. All of us struggle with negative thoughts and emotions at times. That’s why Scripture repeatedly urges us to change our thinking and to renew our minds. God’s Word instructs us to reject our faulty perspectives and embrace His perspective.
Proverbs 23:7 says, “So a man thinketh, so he is.” Philippians 4:8 says, “Whatever is true, noble, right, pure, lovely... think about such things.” Romans 12:2 says, “Be transformed by the renewing of your mind.” And 2 Corinthians 10:5 says, “Take every thought captive.”
When you correctly apply biblical truth, your thought life will change and you will be able to accomplish more than you imagine. If you learn to take thoughts captive, you can live with purpose in every area of your life because your thoughts determine your destination. One of my favorite quotes by Frank Outlaw expresses this principle well:
- Watch your thoughts, they become words.
- Watch your words, they become actions.
- Watch your actions, they become habits.
- Watch your habits, they become character.
- Watch your character, it becomes your destiny.