I believe God has called you to an exciting and adventurous life in service to God’s kingdom. I believe that you will find no greater sense of purpose and no more thrilling lifestyle than when you find that place in the kingdom of God where you are doing exactly what God has created you for. The key is to know how to get from where you are to where God wants you to be.
This is a bold statement because there are a lot of people who feel something is missing. They’ve been going to church and doing Bible studies. They’ve been good Christian parents, friends, students, employees, and ministers, but still something is missing. There’s no sense of mission; there’s no great, big calling; there’s no passion.
So, why do I dare to suggest that God has created you uniquely to play an important role in his kingdom? Because, first, even at our darkest moments God can do his deepest work in our hearts. I’ve seen in my own life that it is in trials where God teaches us best.
Second, I know the path from those dark moments of confusion to those exhilarating moments of ultimate joy. Here are six steps:
- Commit: We need to be willing to replace our agendas with God’s, and replace our priorities with God’s priorities. This first step toward discerning God’s calling is the most difficult because it involves dying to self and putting God first.
- Pray: Prayer is as much about listening to God as it is about talking to him. We must take everything to him in prayer—our questions and concerns, fears and hopes.
- Prepare: God won’t make you a CEO if you’ve never learned management and business. He isn’t going to make you a doctor if you haven’t studied medicine. Do your part to start in the direction God may be leading you.
- Obey: Disciples are known by their obedience. Jesus said that making disciples meant “teaching them to obey everything I have commanded.” Do we think God is going to give a critical kingdom assignment to someone who hasn’t been faithful in day-to-day obedience to his commands?
- Act: My old pastor used to say, “God can’t steer a parked car.” As you look through the lens of god’s kingdom rescue mission and in the context of your own gifts and abilities, what is it that needs doing that you can do? If God opens a door, walk through it.
- Trust: It is time to trust in the assurance that God is in control. If you have faithfully taken each of the first five steps and still feel that you haven’t felt God’s calling on your life, relax. Whatever task you have before you, however small or seemingly insignificant, is important in God’s kingdom. He cares about it. So trust that what God has for you right now is the right thing.
- Do you feel like something is missing from your Christian life? Should God have something more in store for you?
- What do you envision your ideal calling to be?
- What steps can you start making—with commitment, prayer, and preparation—toward the calling which God may have for you?