Being a Small Group Member with Your Mate
Every marriage needs spiritual food! Why not meet regularly with your spouse and create your own small group? You and your spouse will need individual material. Set aside a time and place each day to complete your work. Getting into a routine early will set the tone for your involvement throughout the course. Take time each day; don’t try to jump ahead, or complete several days’ assignments in one sitting. Also, don’t skip assignments; skipping over a day or two could rob you of crucial information and understanding. You will come to appreciate this time alone each day.
Conclude each week with couple time. This will help you begin to put into action what you’ve learned. This should occur before the group session. As you protect this time together each week, you will grow to appreciate these special moments.
Memorizing Scripture is a discipline that I encourage you to incorporate in your study time. This may be new to you. Consider the following ideas to help you further develop Scripture memorization. You and your spouse might covenant together and help each other memorize Scripture.
- Read each verse and think about the meaning.
- Write the verse on note cards, one phrase per card.
- Glance at the phrase and say it aloud. Glance at the next phrase and say both phrases aloud. Continue on this process until you have said the whole passage.
- Try to say the verse from memory later in the day. If you can’t remember the entire verse, glance at the cards to refresh your memory.
- Repeat the verse several times each day for a week until you feel the verse is firmly implanted in your mind.
You and your spouse will gain the most from your personal studies when you join other couples in a weekly small group. The group sessions will help clarify and amplify your understanding of the principles you gain from your study. Be as faithful as possible to the group sessions, and you will reap great rewards from your personal study.
Please register for a free account to view this content
We hope you have enjoyed the 10 discipleship resources you have read in the last 30 days.
You have exceeded your 10 piece content limit.
Create a free account today to keep fueling your spiritual journey!
Already a member? Login to iDisciple