Balancing Details, Team and Congregation
As worship ministry leaders, we are responsible for the many details of a weekend service. We are always balancing the demands of creating an environment where people can find Jesus and express their love for Him while leading our teams well without leaving them in the wake of last-minute changes. When we own the weekend, lead the way, and listen to the Spirit, we build an atmosphere where our teams feel confident, equipped, and valued.
Own the weekend
A well-ordered plan allows room for generosity, freedom, and ample opportunity to show the love of Jesus.
- Know the plan. Whether you are on the platform or behind the scenes, know the details of your service, songs, and stage. Communicate from your heart and confidently share what you know with open hands.
- Know the people. See every person as a friend and co-laborer in Christ. Make sure your team feels valued for who they are beyond their contribution as a vocalist, stage manager, or band member.
- Know the solutions. Anticipate problems and troubleshoot ahead of time. Leaders who stand on the solution side of a problem and are willing to reach back with a spirit of unity will gain new ground in His name.
Don't just do the minimum that will get you by. Do your best. Work from the heart for your real Master, for God, confident that you'll get paid in full when you come into your inheritance. Keep in mind always that the ultimate Master you're serving is Christ. Colossians 3:22-24
Lead the way
Let Jesus be the constant model in your preparation, actions, and communication.
- In your preparation. Spend time in God’s Word and prepare your heart and mind for any circumstance.
- In your actions. This is simple. Be filled with grace, be kind, and speak truth in ways that people know you care for them.
- In your communication. Communication is the equivalent of love. Whether you are talking through a plan or celebrating a teammate, let your words cultivate the values of kindness, gratitude, and love.
Let the peace of Christ keep you in tune with each other, in step with each other. None of this going off and doing your own thing. And cultivate thankfulness. Let the Word of Christ — the Message — have the run of the house. Give it plenty of room in your lives. Instruct and direct one another using good common sense. And sing, sing your hearts out to God! Let every detail in your lives — words, actions, whatever — be done in the name of the Master, Jesus, thanking God the Father every step of the way. Colossians 3:15-17
Listen to the Spirit
Leadership requires much. We must tune into the voice of Holy Spirit and bear His fruit in our lives and leadership.
- Be fast. Be quick to listen. Be first to respond. Be fast to forgive.
- Be flexible. Hold things loosely and when change comes, be easy to work with and bend to meet the greater need. It’s not about you.
- Be present. Lift your eyes up out of the details. You have a front row seat to the Miracle-maker!
But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness and self-control. Galatians 5:22-23
Minding our leadership in the details, with our teams, and in front of our congregation takes hard work. But when we do it well, Jesus shines.
-- Stefanie Cassetto
Please register for a free account to view this content
We hope you have enjoyed the 10 discipleship resources you have read in the last 30 days.
You have exceeded your 10 piece content limit.
Create a free account today to keep fueling your spiritual journey!
Already a member? Login to iDisciple