Attitude UP = Job Offers UP. . .
Yet most people walk through crossroads in their careers with a mix of positive and negative feelings. For example, if you are:
- Unemployed: You may be stunned, hurt, angry, fearful, depressed, guilty or ashamed – or – you may feel relief, renewed energy and a positive outlook about the future.
- Misemployed: You may feel miserable, anxious, frustrated, restless and confused – or – you may be filled with hope, excitement and anticipation for better things.
- Happily-employed, but: You may feel incompleteness although everything is going great – or – you may feel deeply joyful as you seek meaning and purpose in work.
How Do You Rate?
What is your attitude on a 10-point "Attitude-O-Meter?" Joy = 10 points. Zero = the Pits. Be honest with yourself and pick the number that reflects your attitude right this minute. Got it? Now I want you to pick a higher number that you can work toward.
4 Ways to Pump UP Your Attitude
Starting today, you can pump UP your attitude in four ways:
- Make a decision – be joyful: Pick a higher number on your Attitude-O-Meter. Put on a happy face. Beyond "fake-it-until-you-make-it," decide to have good thoughts and behave in positive ways, even in the midst of being used, abused and refused.
- Accept loss – forgive: Whether you have lost your job or are in a job that you wish you could lose – admit, understand and grieve the loss. Anger often accompanies loss. Wrath runs through your veins. Bitterness pools in your stomach. Maybe you are blaming others: your boss, a coworker, someone else – maybe even yourself. The key to overcoming anger is to exercise forgiveness toward everyone involved – not for their benefits but for yours.
- Accept opportunity – face fear: This is the first day of the rest of your life. If life is a journey, are you headed in the right direction? There are thousands of occupations and industries, each one with thousands of employers and workers. By now you may be anxious, maybe even terrified. You can face your fear by exercising love, power, discipline, prayer and even thanksgiving.
- Eat right and exercise – get plenty of rest: Take care of yourself physically, mentally and spiritually. Job searches and career transitions can be exhausting. You need extra energy and endurance. When you build your personal strength, you will become more courageous and will think more clearly.
The four steps listed above will build a positive attitude. They will turn stumbling blocks into building blocks. They will propel you above and beyond your circumstances.
You will feel better, sound better and look better. Not only will you be more attractive, you will also attract more job offers. Start pumping UP today!