Artie Davis Said
Some years ago I came across an article by Artie Davis where he talked about Jesus on leadership. I do not know who Artie is, but he provides great words of wisdom regarding Jesus’ leadership secrets.
When I study how Jesus led, there are differences in what He did and what we tend to do now. Some of those may be culturally driven, but I think most are “man” driven. We feel we’ve found a way to improve on how Jesus did it. Aaaannnkkk! Wrong!
These are some of the “secret” (the only thing that makes them secrets is that most don’t use them) leadership strategies I see that Jesus used:
- Jesus prayed and fasted all night asking God who He should bring on His team.
- Jesus chose the “uneducated and untrained.” He didn’t choose leaders, He built His own.
- Jesus trained His followers by example and then empowered them to do the same.
- Jesus expected those that were with Him would do greater things than He did.
- Jesus gave His life to and for those that were with Him.
These practical truths scream humility and love to me. Jesus was successful at building a group of leaders that would reach the world in their generation. They were successful because they were loved, trained and empowered to do so.
I don’t think we can improve on such a process! What say you?
Written by Jay Vineyard