Are You Listening?
In his letter, James provides practical advice in living out our faith specifically within relationships. Like Paul, James anchors his wisdom for living to the Gospel of Jesus Christ.
For example, in his first chapter, he wrote:
He chose to give us birth through the word of truth, that we might be a kind of firstfruits of all he created. My dear brothers, take note of this: Everyone should be quick to listen, slow to speak and slow to become angry, for man’s anger does not bring about the righteous life that God desires. James 1:18-20
Notice how he sets the foundation. As believers, we have been born again through the word of truth. We are a kind of firstfruits of all He created. Right now, right here we are the initial subjects of God’s new creative order. We are ambassadors of God’s kingdom in this world of darkness.
Building on the foundation, he gives us wisdom to carry into our relationships — be quick to listen, slow to speak, and slow to become angry.
There is no quicker way to show a person that you care about them and are interested in them than to listen.
- Husband, take the time to listen to your wife. Look her in the eye and hear what is on her heart.
- Mom, Dad, listen to your children. Hear what is on their minds and learn the things that are important to them.
- Teacher, listen to your student.
- Employer, listen to your employees. It might help make your company more successful.
- Friends, listen to each other. Your friendship will be much stronger for it.
- Believers, listen to one another. You belong to each other, you are fellow members of the body. Take a listen and discover the unity you have in Christ.
How can we experience positive, healthy relationships in life? The first step is to be quick to listen. Your attention will send a strong message that you care.
Are you listening?
Please register for a free account to view this content
We hope you have enjoyed the 10 discipleship resources you have read in the last 30 days.
You have exceeded your 10 piece content limit.
Create a free account today to keep fueling your spiritual journey!
Already a member? Login to iDisciple