A Stunning Impact
In the natural world, death is a one-way street. You live, and then you die. It doesn’t work the other way around. Something dead cannot just pop back to life. Unless it’s by the power of God.
As God, Jesus not only has the power to bring the dead to life, but also to grant eternal life, spiritual life. His resurrection was truly a world-changing moment in every way.
In his message, “The Stunning Impact of Christ’s Resurrection,” Dr. Stanley noted several ways in which Jesus’ triumph over death affected the world:
- Christ’s resurrection shook the world physically. An earthquake occurred at Jesus’ death when the rocks were split, and again at His resurrection when an angel descended from heaven and rolled away the stone to reveal an empty tomb (Matt. 27:50-51; 28:2).
- The religious world of Jesus’ day was shaken. The final upheaval of the religious system of that day occurred in A.D. 70 when Roman soldiers attacked Jerusalem, destroyed the temple, and scattered the Jewish people all over the world.
- Jesus’ resurrection impacted the political realm. Rome had no power to stop the spread of Christianity. Today, nations are still being influenced by the Christian faith.
- The cultural world of their day was impacted. For example, one time, when Paul was teaching about Jesus, the people who had been practicing magic responded by burning their books, which were worth 50,000 pieces of silver (Acts 19:18-19).
- Christ’s resurrection shapes our lives today. Its impact reaches beyond the world’s institutions into the hearts of individual people.
When we get caught up in the natural, everyday order of things—of living in a sinful world—we can remind ourselves that, as followers of Christ, we serve a God who is not limited by these conditions. He can turn any circumstance upside down. He can make something good out of destruction. And He grants us spiritual blessings that will never decay.
Written by Linda Canup