A Message to the Church, Part 2
The Message to Sardis
Jesus came so that we might have life. That life is given to us by the Holy Spirit. The church at Sardis was prosperous and well-to-do. It had all the signs of success. It looked alive, but in reality, it was dead. Jesus admonished them to wake up, repent and turn to Him. Otherwise, His sudden return would surprise them like a thief in the night (See 1 Thessalonians 5:2-6). To those in Sardis who were alive in Christ, He gave these assurances:
- They will walk with the Lord and be clothed in white
- They will be victorious
- Their names will never be erased from the book of life
- Jesus will announce before His Father and His angels that they belong to Him
The Message to Philadelphia
Jesus Christ is holy and true. He holds the key of David, the symbol that all authority has been given to Him. He opened a door for the church of Philadelphia, a door that no one could close. Their status in God’s kingdom went unnoticed by the world. Yet Jesus assured them that one day the world would take notice and recognize they were loved by God.
In light of this wonderful truth, Jesus encouraged them to persevere, to hold on to all they have in Him. The list is impressive.
- They are pillars in God’s temple
- They will never have to leave this temple
- The name of God is written on them
- They are citizens of the new Jerusalem
- They bear a new name
The Message to Laodicea
Laodicea had a water problem. It smelled atrocious, was lukewarm and tasted awful. The church at Laodicea was much the same as far as God was concerned. It was time for them to move one way or the other.
His warning to this group was stern, but it was meant to turn them away from their indifference to Him, the One who is the truth, the faithful and true witness, and the beginning of God’s creation. In spite of thinking they were rich and in need of nothing, they in fact needed what only Jesus could provide. He was standing at the door knocking, waiting for them to answer. If they simply opened the door, they could experience friendship with Jesus and would victoriously sit on His throne with Him.
Revelation for You
- Do you need assurance in your life? Do you know that your name will never be erased from the book of life?
- Do you sometimes feel like you go unnoticed in this world? In what ways does the message to Philadelphia encourage you to persevere as a child of God?
- Are you enjoying friendship with Jesus Christ?