7 Tips for Pursuing God's Will
It can be difficult to figure out what God’s will is for our lives. After all, there’s no formula where we can plug in the numbers and get a nice, clean answer! Trying to determine God’s will can leave us feeling puzzled and confused, but here are a few tips that can help you as you pursue what God has in store for your life. Let’s take a look:
- Commit yourself to doing whatever God asks. We can’t pick and choose when we want to obey God’s voice. Instead, we need to be willing to follow him wherever he leads us. So before you try to figure out God’s will for your life, you first need to ask yourself, “Am I willing to say yes to him, no matter the cost?” Isaiah 6:8 says, “Then I heard the Lord asking, ‘Whom should I send as a messenger to this people? Who will go for us?’ I said, ‘Here I am. Send me.’”
God has an adventure waiting for each of us, but it may not look like what we’d expect. When we follow him with complete trust, he often takes us out of our comfort zones and helps us face our fears. It’s challenging, but when it’s all over we can look back with a new perspective, having grown stronger and closer to him. We’re able to see his fingerprints on our lives, and how he’s used the challenges to shape and mold us to become more like him. And God’s adventure is the kind worth embarking on!
- Ask God for wisdom. As you try to figure out what God desires for your life, one of the best things to do is ask him for wisdom. God doesn’t expect us to solely make decisions based on our limited understanding. James 1:5 says, “If you need wisdom, ask our generous God, and he will give it to you. He will not rebuke you for asking.” God wants to help us! When we ask him for wisdom, he will guide us as we seek to make good decisions about our future. He might not always give you the entire plan for your life at once, or even a specific plan. But if you rely on God for wisdom, he’ll guide you through all seasons of your life.
- Dive into the Bible. Maybe one of the reasons why there’s no cut-and dried formula for determining God’s will for our lives is that God wants us to look to him for the answers. And in order to hear his voice, we need to build an intimate relationship with him.
One of the best ways to get to know God better is to study and understand the Bible. Psalm 119:105 says, “Your word is a lamp to guide my feet and a light for my path.” Through Scripture, God helps us see things we have never seen before, both about him and about us.
- Pray constantly. Prayer is a wonderful way to connect with God as you seek his will and plan for your life. You can pray for many things — that God would give you direction, wisdom, courage, insight, peace and more as you seek his will. And as you pray, your heart will change and become more attuned to God’s plan; you’ll hear God speaking back to you. Philippians 4:6-7 says, “Don’t worry about anything; instead, pray about everything. Tell God what you need, and thank him for all he has done. Then you will experience God’s peace, which exceeds anything we can understand. His peace will guard your hearts and minds as you live in Christ Jesus.”
- Let others speak into your life. Once you feel like God is telling you to do something specific, ask a few close Christian friends and confidants to pray with and for you about it. Other Christians that you trust and respect most can often help us know whether the way we feel is just a result of our own desires, or if it’s God’s desires playing out in our hearts. God can use them to give you wisdom. Proverbs 19:20-21 says, “Get all the advice and instruction you can, so you will be wise the rest of your life. You can make many plans, but the Lord’s purpose will prevail.”
- Evaluate all the facts. God gave us logical minds that are capable of thinking through facts and options. So as you look for God’s will for your life, take time to study all of the possibilities — God may even call you to step out on faith as you do!
Psalm 32:8 says, “The Lord says, ‘I will guide you along the best pathway for your life. I will advise you and watch over you.’” As you seek God and let him, instead of your fears, guide you, he will show you the way in his timing.
- Make a bold decision in faith. After you’ve taken all these steps, you’ll need to make a decision: Are you going to follow God’s calling? Don’t let fear or uncertainty hold you back. Sometimes God wants us to step out boldly in faith, trusting that he will provide for all our needs and give us strength. We can’t do anything on our own, but as Philippians 4:13 says, “I can do everything through Christ, who gives me strength.”
Hopefully these seven tips will allow you to prayerfully seek God’s will for your life. Remember — there are no formulas! If you seek God and are willing to let him lead, he’ll give you the direction and guidance you need. As Proverbs 3:5-6 says, “Trust in the Lord with all your heart; do not depend on your own understanding. Seek his will in all you do, and he will show you which path to take.”