3 Secrets That Will Change Your Life
If you had the choice which girl would you choose to be?
Girl #1: Shannon
Shannon grew up in church, was raised by Christian parents, attended youth group on a weekly basis and even went on short-term missions trips. As Shannon grew older she became very self-conscious and desired to be loved and accepted by those around her. Instead of turning to God’s Word to discover her value in God’s eyes, Shannon turned to the culture.
She slowly but surely bought into the lie that beauty, a toned body, and attention from guys were the keys to happiness. Shannon’s life became an out-of-control mess as she strived to find worth and value in all of the wrong places. Happiness, peace, and joy aren’t characteristics you’ll find in this girl.
Girl #2: Michelle
Michelle grew up in a “Christian” home. Sure, they went to church but verbal abuse, neglect, and anger were common. Michelle’s life changed forever when she decided to give her life to Christ and trust and obey God’s Word. She was a “reader and applier.” She didn’t just read the Bible, she actually lived it out. She trusted that God’s ways truly are best, and she chose to obey them.
Michelle’s personal attitude is marked by sweetness, joy, happiness, gratitude, and spiritual excitement. She has a love for God and for others. Despite her circumstances growing up, Michelle has grown up to be a beautiful, godly, young woman. She is confident that her worth and value come from God. She doesn’t feel the need to chase after guys for attention. She has a true freedom, confidence, and security that can only be found in Christ.
The choice is yours.
Given the choice between being a “Shannon” or a “Michelle,” hands down I would choose to be Michelle. I don’t want a life of chasing guys, depression, and insecurity like Shannon. I want to be confident, godly, loving, and secure like Michelle.
How do we as girls grow into that kind of woman? How do we avoid the outcome of Shannon? How do we get the confidence, joy, security, and peace like Michelle?
Michelle isn’t a rock star or superhuman girl. She is just a regular young lady that has stumbled across three life-changing secrets. These three truths are what set Michelle apart. These truths have helped her to avoid the outcome of Shannon’s lifestyle and live a God glorifying life instead.
If you understand and live these truths out, you too can have the confidence, security and inner beauty that Michelle has.
Three secrets that transformed Michelle:
1. She knows her Savior and trusts His Word. Michelle doesn’t just know about her Savior she actually spends time with Him and trusts His Word as truth. She truly believes verses like this one . . .
“For you created my inmost being; you knit me together in my mother’s womb. I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made; your works are wonderful, I know that full well” (Ps. 139:13–14).
She believes . . .
- It’s up to her Creator to decide what makes her valuable.
- The culture has no authority to decide what gives her value.
- She has no authority to give herself value.
- God is her Creator, and He gives her lasting worth.
Imagine the impact this verse could have on your own life if you actually believed it and lived out its truth. Wow! No more believing the lie that you have to “beautiful” to be valuable. What a relief!
2. She realizes that true lasting beauty comes from the inside out. Michelle takes more time to cultivate inward beauty than outward. She focuses the best hours of her days on what God says is most important. Michelle takes verses like these seriously . . .
“Charm is deceptive, and beauty does not last; but a woman who fears the Lord will be greatly praised” (Prov. 31:30). “The LORD does not look at the things man looks at. Man looks at the outward appearance, but the LORD looks at the heart” (1 Sam. 16:7).
She believes . . .
- Outward beauty does not last.
- A woman who loves and serves the Lord is to be praised.
- God looks at her heart.
When you truly believe these verses, you no longer have to chase after guys, fight for attention, or strive to be the most beautiful girl in the room. Your priorities shift from trying to please others to trying to please God.
3. She understands that she is a daughter of the King. Michelle believes she is valuable because of who God is not because of who she is. Galatians 3:26–27 says, “So in Christ Jesus you are all children of God through faith, for you are all sons [and daughters] of God through faith in Christ Jesus.” Michelle believes . . .
- God is the King of the universe.
- She is His daughter.
- She is His princess.
Michelle doesn’t find her value in what others think about her but in what God thinks about her. God says she is His child. Imagine the confidence Michelle can have because of who her God is. He’s the King of the universe.
Living Out the Three Secrets
I want to challenge you to think through those three secrets. Don’t just scan through them and then move on with your day. Ask God to help you apply them to your own life.
Michelle and Shannon both grew up hearing the truth, but only one chose to apply it. Will you wisely apply the truth like Michelle did?
1. How can you start applying those three secrets to your life today?
2. What can you do to avoid the outcome of Shannon?
3. How can you become a godly woman like Michelle starting today?
Written by Bethany Baird
Revive Our HeartsView Website
Already a member? Login to iDisciple