25 Statements that Empower Your Kids
I took my grandkids to McDonalds the other day for a Happy Meal and a 15-minute play time in the fun-house jungle gym. While eating lunch together at the table, I couldn’t help but notice the frustrated mom sitting next to me, telling her five-year-old daughter to “shut up” and eat because she’d spent $4.20 for nuggets and fries. I get that! Many of us have said things out of frustration to their kids they wish they could take back. But like feathers released into the wind, once they leave our mouths, they can never all be retrieved. Who knows the dark places in one’s soul a few of those feathers might land.
It’s a great reminder for all of us that our words matter. They are one of the most powerful forces in the universe. They give us a sense of positive identity and influence our ability to establish healthy relationships. They aren’t simply sounds that come out of our mouths but weapons that execute real power. They can cut or heal. They can bless or curse. They can elevate or destroy. WORDS! But the good thing about these mysterious utterances that come out of our mouths is that they don’t cost a dime to use wisely. All it takes to launch their power for good is an intentional choice to verbalize positive ones.
So, maybe it’s time for us to take a “Word Inventory Test.” When’s the last time you spoke these 25 statements of power into the lives of your children or grandchildren?
1. You are my favorite six-year-old.
2. I love you from your nose to your toes.
3. God made you special. Your life matters.
4. I believe in you.
5. I see your inner strength
6. You can achieve anything you desire.
7. Thank you for honoring me.
8. I like how you never give up.
9. God loves you so much. He can’t wait for YOU to pray to Him.
10. I noticed how you shared.
11. You are the child I prayed for.
12. With God you can get through anything. You’re never alone.
13. You are so unselfish (or thoughtful, punctual, insightful – there are a million character traits to brag about!).
14. I looked and there’s no one just like you.
15. When I think of you, my tummy feels warm with love.
16. I love your insides and your outsides.
17. I think I got the best kid in the world.
18. You did a great job!
19. I noticed how you used your inside voice.
20. You are the kind of friend everyone should have.
21. I like the way you tried.
22. You have a bright mind.
23. I’ll love you no matter what you do.
24. If I feel sad, I think of you and feel all better.
25. Awesome! That’s what you are.
WORDS. Don’t they make your heart feel better?