15 Random Insights into Our Faith Walk
During my post-transplant “downtime,” I’ve been digging through old files and papers. The other day, I found this collection of wise sayings . . . I think most of them can be attributed to C.S. Lewis. All I know is I didn’t come up with them myself. But maybe something here will be helpful to you.
- You don’t have a soul. You are a soul. You have a body. This helps explain eternal life.
- Do not waste time bothering whether you “love” your neighbor; act as if you did. As soon as we do this, we find one of the great secrets. When you are behaving as if you loved someone you will presently come to love them.
- The safest road to hell is the gradual one . . . the gentle slope, soft underfoot, without sudden turnings, without milestones, without signposts. This is why it’s so dangerous to do life alone.
- True humility is not thinking less of yourself, it’s thinking of yourself less.
- Pain insists upon being attended to. God whispers to us in our pleasures, speaks in our consciences, but shouts in our pains. It is His megaphone to rouse a deaf world.
- If you want a religion to make you feel really comfortable, I certainly don’t recommend Christianity.
- To be a Christian means to forgive the inexcusable because God has forgiven the inexcusable in you.
- Atheism turns out to be too simple. If the whole universe has no meaning, we should never have found out that it has no meaning.
- Friendship is born at that moment when one person says to another: “What? You too? I thought I was the only one.”
- There are only two kinds of people . . . those who say to God, “Thy will be done,” and those to whom God says, “All right then, have it your way.”
- If you find in yourself desires which nothing in this world can satisfy, the only logical explanation is that you were made for another world.
- Of all the bad men, religious bad men are the worst.
- Aim at heaven and you will get earth thrown in. Aim at earth and you get neither.
- God cannot give us happiness and peace apart from Himself because it is not there. There is no such thing.
- A man can no more diminish God’s glory by refusing to worship Him than a lunatic can put out the sun by scribbling the word ‘darkness’ on the walls of his cell.
Prayer – Lord, please tattoo your wisdom inside our brains and hearts so we won’t forget what you show us. Please give us your wisdom, not so we can just be wise, but so we can use it to love, serve and help others. In your beautiful name. Amen.
Please register for a free account to view this content
We hope you have enjoyed the 10 discipleship resources you have read in the last 30 days.
You have exceeded your 10 piece content limit.
Create a free account today to keep fueling your spiritual journey!
Already a member? Login to iDisciple